Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Joys of Hide and Seek

Can I ask you a personal question? Do you play with your kids? If so....do you enjoy it? For me....it is a complicated question, with an even more complicated answer. Back in September, I revealed Sugar's SUPER POWER. I'd love to report that things have gotten better, but....sadly....Mama still doesn't have a clue. Sugar Bear still loves to dictate everything I say and do when we play, and I must go along with it or else we both end up in tears. Well....to be honest, I'll have to admit that it has gotten alittle better. I have worked really hard at honoring her need to be in charge of the play, and helping her understand that people don't like to be bossed around. She is working on it....in fact, we are both a work in progress.


For quite some time, one of Sugar Bear's favorite games has been Hide and Seek. It cracks me up how this game evolves for young children. In the beginning, she didn't really hide herself. She actually just hid her eyes and thought I couldn't see her. What a crack up. However, the "lazy mommy" in me enjoyed this stage. It took very little effort to be the hider or the seeker. She was equally happy if I just threw a blanket over my head to "hide." Easy Peasy!



Then came the stage in which the she actually told me where the hider should hide, and precisely how the seeker should look for them. Sugar Bear used to ALWAYS hide in the exact same spot, and I purposely looked in the same 4 spots before "finding" her. The seekers job was to narrate the looking. "Is she in the shower? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....Is she in under the bed??? Nooooooooooooooooo.....Is she behind the door? Nooooooooooooooooooo...hmmmm where is she? Is she in the fridge? (okay....so not the real one, but the play one...don't worry...I would never encourage her to play in the fridge.).....Noooooooooooooooooo! Hmmmmm I know....she....might.....be......in....the....CLOSET!" That last word must be timed appropriately to coincide with the opening of the closet door. Much squealing and giggling would erupt. Now REPEAT.....like 15 times, until you want to poke your eye out. I enjoy this game for the first oh....two times, then after that, I am begging to be the Hider, and I try to sneak a magazine in with me. Sugar Bear is NOT impressed.



Recently, she has taken to requesting this game while we are outside. This is entirely new for her. I admit, I had a pretty hard time controlling my laughter the first time she asked me to play Hide and Seek outside. You see....we were practically in a flat grassy field with precisely ONE tree. She announced, "You go hide Mama! I'll crount! (not a typo)" I looked around, held back the laughter and said, "Uuummmmmm, and where do you propose I hide?" Sugar took a quick survey of the area, and waved her hand in the general direction of the flat grassy land, and said, "Just over there."



I figured....what the heck...let's see what she does. As she turned and leaned into the tree to count, I walked about 30 feet away and crouched down in PLAIN view. She slowly counted to 12 (her favorite number), and then opened her eyes. She glanced in my direction, then quickly averted her eyes. My silly Sugar Bear proceed to hunt for me in the opposite direction. "Hmmmmmm...where is Mama? Where could she be?" I swallowed my laughter as she "pretended" to look for me. Oh what a blessing she is. I am one lucky lady. At that moment, I was reunited with the spirit of Hide and Seek. Even though she is Bossy....She is MY bossy girl, and I love her, and her innocence. Sigh....Life is Good.



I risked life and limb to snap these photos of her when I was supposed to be hiding. I couldn't help it! She was just too darn cute in her classic "Crounter" role. Couldn't you just eat her with a spoon? Oh and this was the first day I ever put her hair in a pony tail. I couldn't quit admiring her new look. She's a doll, if I say so myself.



Dang it.......she peeked.....I've been discovered. It appears that HIDING in plain sight is encourage, but taking pictures while hiding in plain sight is a No No! Gotta go....Have a nice day!
*** oh and don't forget I'm on Top Momma! CLICK HERE!!!!! You know you want to. Click it a few times in fact. I get a referral each time you click the link, and a click each time you click on Sugar's sweet photo. Isn't that fun? I can't think of a single thing I should be doing today other than clicking. Can you? ***

29 Live It or Love It:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michele said...

Well, what a delightful story and the pictures were a bonus... beautiful pictures... she looks adorable.
I had to giggle as I imagined the large expanse of field and trying to find a hiding spot. LOL
"ok, just down to the left behind that large blade of grass is a perfect spot, she'll never find me here!" Hehehe...

Great story and photos, Corey!

Megan Cobb said...

Ha! It's the same here... inside or outside. Even when we're making the bed, she'll crawl under the blankets AS I WATCH and say, "Okay Mama see if you can find me!!!" Cracks me right up.

I try to enjoy playing with Bean, but right now, to be honest, I'd rather sit and WATCH the playing, and get to laugh. Three year olds are really fun to observe. Nutty little critters, they are!

Bellevelma said...

I remember those days. Every so often Snags still wants to play hide and seek in our back yard. Pretty flat, only 2 spots to hide.

Autumn said...

That is so cute! I can relate, Bugs evolution of hide and seek was in a very similar manner. Love the pony tail and the pics, she is so darn cute.

CMB said...

That was great! I love the ones of her 'crounting'. David liked hide and seek, but you couldn't scare him. He does not like to be scared. Ava is just learning the concept and she covers her eyes for peek a boo. It amazes me how different two children from the same parents can be.

Corey~living and loving said...

Hey Corey! Its Cheri, I jsut wanted to stop by and say I have really missed you and seeing Miss Sugar girl. She is getting so big:(
I think about you guys often and hope all is well.
As for us, the boys are great, big giant adorable boys. We are expecting the grand arrival of baby girl on Mon. March 3rd. Exciting!
Be well!
Love Cheri

Anonymous said...

Wow...such great pictures!! That picture in your heading is possibly the greatest picture I've seen lately!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind and supportive comment. I'm really making some great new bloggy friends through this whole ordeal and that makes it well worth it!!

Anonymous said...

What a terrific post! My kids REALLY love hide n seek, too. I'm miserable at the game, because I can't control my laughter when I'm hiding. This is something I actually don't mind playing with the kids - so much more fun than Barbie dolls or Polly Pockets (blech). And that ponytail is fantastic!

Deb said...

I don't always 'play' with my kids as much as I know I should. Daddy has always been the 'hide & seek' go-to guy and Mommy just can't compare. :)

I do play games with them, read to them, snuggle with them and build endless block towers with Becca. I've tried to sit down with Hannah and play, but she always ends up taking over and not letting me do anything, so it turns more into a 'watching her play' kind of thing. And Abby has never really 'played' with toys like most kids do. She's more into games and arts & crafts.

It seems like it's so hard to find the time to just sit down and play though - something I need to work harder at for sure.

I love the pictures of Sugar Bear 'crounting' - and the ponytail is adorable! :)

Gen said...

Oh, that's funny! I love your idea of taking a magazine along while you hide. I wonder if I could get away with that.

John-Michael said...

"Watching" her in your photos, I am so very much wanting to hear the conversation, with herself, inside her head, as she is counting. The absolute charm, mystery, and excitement of her very own created wonders. Children are the BEST!

So grateful for your generous sharing. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

My 6 year old still dictates when we play too. It was really frustrating at first until I just gave in.
He also tries to tell me just where to hide when we play hide and seek.

Unknown said...

LMAO that is so sweet!
i love playing hide and seek with Bradley too.

:) said...

Such a cute story. I love when I play this game as well. I love when I am the seeker and I call out "where can she be?" and she always jumps out at me and says "here I am mommy!" Too cute for words.

Unknown said...

I try and play with my girls, but I am extremely lucky as they have each other to play with. It's the BIGGEST perk of having twins.

Adorable story and pics!

Anonymous said...

Hee, Hee! We have the same game going on over here... c'mon over! :D
Super cute, Corey!

Rosie said...

Oh she's just lovely!
I have a very bossy 4 year old and our games sound similar to yours, especially Hide and Seek, it's strange the way they play it, at that age they are probably worried about the seperation.
We play lots but at times I do find it hard work.

AnnD said...

What a great idea for a photoshoot! Who would think to photograph a hide and seek game? Brilliant!!! I love it and I am making a mental note of it to copy when Emma is old enough to play! I'm glad Sugar had a good time!

Anonymous said...

Corey,
Very cute story and pics as usual! Sorry I brought up the whole potty issue today. I shouldn't have put you on the spot like that. -Heather

Pam said...

I don't play with my kids like I know I should. I seem to interact best with my kids by teaching them something, either pointing things out to them in the yard or in the store, or by baking something with them in the kitchen.

Cute pictures and story!

Anonymous said...

That's priceless! The pics are fabulous. I just adore those rubber boots!

And don't worry too much...I was a bossy kid. And not to sound biased or anything, but I think bossy kids can learn to control their bossiness and often grow up to be confident and assertive adults. She won't let herself be pushed around or bullied!

Anonymous said...

That's priceless! The pics are fabulous. I just adore those rubber boots!

And don't worry too much...I was a bossy kid. And not to sound biased or anything, but I think bossy kids can learn to control their bossiness and often grow up to be confident and assertive adults. She won't let herself be pushed around or bullied!

Donetta said...

I am more like Pam. I love to teach them .P lay has always been very difficult for me. My youth disallowed it and to play is just terribly awkward it always has been. I have shed many a tear wishing I were more like the Daddy man. I am far to serious. I love to converse or walk in nature and show them treasures of life. I am very introverted in a phylisofical (sp?) sort of way. Than you for your supportive kindness with Dash I posted the results so far.

Julie B said...

I love the pictures! I don't think I could have resisted taking them either.
My girls are obsessed with hide-n-seek, but it seems to be a Daddy game for some reason. I guess its because its dark by the time he gets home, so they'll play hide-n-seek in the dark with flashlights...the girls love it even though they get so scared :)
Both my girls always hide int he same spot, and my husband always pleads..."OK, go hide, but NOT on your bed"...it never works :)

Have a great weekend!

Don Mills Diva said...

I LOVE to play hide and seek with Graham. He gets so excited and we both laugh sooo much!

Carolyn said...

Love this post. Hilarious. I thought mine was the only kid who didn't quite get the concept of hide and seek. Csilla's hilarious. She'll say, "Let's play hide and seek. I'll hide and you look for me. I'm going to hide right here." Then she'll proceed to crouch behind a chair and yell, "Try to find me!" My husband and I almost pee ourselves laughing. Funny.

Your little sugar is adorable too! Love the pony tail. We are so blessed.

Anonymous said...

Awww, she's such a sweetie! And smarty too! Xander does the part where he hides in the same exact spot that he found the previous person. I try to explain to the older kids to "pretend" not to find him, but they don't get it.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee. That made me laugh so much it hurt. Miss M is just the same. She always hides in the same spot. When her and Miss E are playing it is so funny as Miss E finds ingenious places to hide, then humours her little sister just so she gets a few minutes when she isn't the seeker.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP