Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, October 11, 2009

I could be stressed out.....but.....

I'm not! Want to know why?

Because I have a very GOOD backup system. A GREAT backup system. A "so very GLAD I have it" backup system.

You see, my desktop external hard drive that houses ALL of my photos since 2004, decided quite suddenly, after nearly two years of service to just up and quit with NO two week notice. IT.JUST.UP.AND.DIED!!!!!!

I could be freaking out. I could be crying, and moaning, and rolling around on the floor in despair.

But....I'm not.

You see, I have a mini portable external hard drive that I used once a week to backup my desktop external hard drive. Not only do I use it to back up my precious photos each week, I then take it to work where it lives for the rest of the week, in case of a house fire. Having my photos stored on TWO hard drives, and kept in TWO different buildings, has to be a very AWESOME back up system, right?

Let's just say, instead of losing 5 years worth of precious photos, I only lost 4 days worth. While, I'm a bit sad about losing 4 of my Kitty Project shots, it seriously could be a lot worse. WHEW.....

However, while I'm waiting on my new desktop external to get here, I am NOT accessing my photos. It worries me to do so when I have only one set of these precious memories available.

So...I'm doing what any crafting crazy, having six sewing projects waiting for me to finish mama would do.....I'm taking the week of blogging off.

Well....I think I am....something might call my name, but honestly, I could use some time away from the computer.

Catch ya on the flip side.....and I have one question for YOU.......

DO YOU HAVE A GOOD BACKUP SYSTEM?

16 Live It or Love It:

bBchronicles said...

You're a SMART WOMAN on all COUNTS! Are you sure you want to take a full week off . . . you'll be missed - come back sooner if you start to miss 'us' too!!!!!

Janet said...

Oh my! That could have been quite devestating! I need to jack up my system full stop! Thanks for reminding me to get my life sorted out! :)

Sue said...

I have just bought a PRO account on Flickr and am putting all my pics there as I download them to the computer

Lindy said...

nope I don't have a good back up system. I've uploaded a lot of photos to Flickr but need to get an external hard drive. I had one for my pc and when I took laptop to be serviced the dumbass tech reformatted the external hard drive. I then switched to apple and haven't gotten around to getting another external hard drive. Read somewhere that you need to fire up the external hard drive once a week to make sure it continues to work- sounds like you're doing that so you're pretty darn clever.

betty said...

great idea, I just purchased carbonite to do my backups automatically,since I couldn't remember how.

Autumn said...

Oh you are a smart cookie! Good job. I'm gonna be missing you for a whole week though!

AnnD said...

Well, I thought my external hard drives were kind of my back-up until I read this. I have two of them. And I used to be religious about saving them onto discs too but I haven't done that since about February!

I do however give my parents all of the photos of Emma to put on their computers too. But, I don't do that with my "artsy" photos. Just Emma photos.

Now I'm paranoid. Would you mind emailing me a link to the mini external hard drive that saved you? I want to see it and get an idea for how much they cost! Plus, I'm kind of confused about what you are talking about...
AnnNville@aol.com

secret agent mama said...

I am lucky that Michael is a computer geek. He created a whole server for us to backup all my work. And we also have everything on an external hard-drive.

(((HUGS YOU)))

Misty DawnS said...

See! See!!! This is EXACTLY what I've been fretting about... seriously, it wakes me up at night!

I'm running out of memory on my laptop, because I've got WAY too many photos on there. I have a portable hard drive, but I hear too often of them quitting like your external did. I would worry too much to move my photos to the portable hard drive and then delete them from the computer. I need to have at least two backups to feel secure. So, NO, I don't have my backup system yet, but I DO have a laptop whose memory is getting overloaded! :-(

Christina said...

yay, good for you! so glad it all turned out alright. I need a better system...

Saz said...

Umm.now l am confused...I bought a massive 66 zillion mega wotsits....external hard drive to back up my laptop files..are you telling me I need to back that up too??? now l am depressed...

Saz said...

I thought one could back up the blog on an online wotsit..if anyone knows l would sure love to hear from you!!

Jen said...

Corey I am very happy to say that "YES!" I have a good back up system. And I am thankful that you do too! I have heard these horror stories too many times to NOT have a good back-up system. I must admit that I don't have off site storage of 100% of my pics, but enough that I would not be devastated if I lost the rest. I also don't have 100% back-up of all my unedited pics...but I am cool with that. Hopefully your experience will convince a few more people to think about a good system! Enjoy your (kinda) week off!

Tabitha Blue said...

Oh I'm so glad that you didn't lose more!! That is the worst. That did happen to me once, and I didn't have it all backed up, so now I make sure to! :)

mrsmouthy said...

I will back mine up tonight!!! We only back up about twice a year, but with 1,000 pictures of newborn Rocco, I'd be crushed if something happened to Lappy.

Cynthia said...

You are a smarty...now I gotta go figure out my backup system:O

Enjoy your kinda break:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP