Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Moments of Growth



The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size. ~Gertrude S. Wister



I have always been a fan of Spring, but for some reason this is the first year I can remember that I am actually soaking it all in. I have found myself starring out the window in the early evening marvelling that the sun is still out. It gives me this wonderful sense of freedom. Until now, I am not certain I was aware of just how precisely the darkness of winter had affected me. All winter, I rise in the darkness, spend all day inside my windowless office, and drive home in the same deary darkness. We'd shut ourselves up in the house all evening long, and it was difficult to break the rut of laziness.



In the last few weeks, the black is lifting, and we find ourselves driving home at the end of the day among the blue skies and beautiful white clouds. We go into our house just long enough to deposit our things, then rush back out to PLAY. So much to do, and so little time. LIFE IS GOOD!



Sugar is definitely feeling SPRING as well. She has been full of energy, and finds delight in having some FREEDOM to shake the doldrums off, and really move her body. There are times when we are so giddy with delight it takes something purposeful to slow us down....and offer us moments of growth.



The flower that follows the sun does so even in cloudy days. ~Robert Leighton

This Spring, we are cherishing time together making our little piece of the world a bit more colorful. This is the first year that Sugar has been given the opportunity to plant flowers, and we are loving it. I am a bit surprised that she hesitates to get her hands dirty. She is working through it, and I think by the end of the season, my biggest challenge will be keeping her clean.



These photos document our first planting session of the season. Watering the flowers with her little watering can is by FAR her favorite activity. I am fairly certain that keeping the flowers hydrated this year will NOT be a problem. I have a perfect little helper. At least for now.....



Too bad I didn't get pictures of the SNOW we had this weekend covering these poor defenseless flowers. eeekkkk snow in April. Who would have thunk it?



Oh and NO, that is NOT ketchup on her chin. She had a vicious crash while running WILD and FREE on our deck. With the help of Neosporin, and lots of kisses, she has healed nicely. (I may or may not have edited her scrape out of this last photo....couldn't help it. It is one of my most recent favorite photos.)



In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt. ~Margaret Atwood




23 Live It or Love It:

Misty said...

Great photos! I keep waiting for a spring day. Just one, nice, consistently warm one.
Until then, I just find myself grateful that I can see photos of others, warm and kissed by the sun!

kat said...

It looks like Sugar Bear is quite the little gardener. These are great photos and you can see how much she enjoys being outside

Carolyn said...

My random thoughts on this post:

"Yes. Exactly! My great-grandmother's name was Gertrude. That's how I feel. Yes. Totally. Yes. Rut? Me too. Isn't Sugar cute? Ah. Gardening. Looking forward to that. Wow. Hm. They had snow too? Oh. Poor Sugar. Need more Neosporin. Slippery deck season is upon us. Amen Margaret Atwood. That Corey is a great photographer."

That's about it. Thanks for the lovely post.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shots... wonderful gardening! Sugar Bear is going to be a jack of all trades! Snow in April, eh... happy Earth Day...

Michele said...

Beautiful shots, she is so curious and inquisitive, isn't she? Adorable expressions.
Yes, it is hard to believe but snow in April. We have 18 inches of it on the ground and more still coming. Currently -10 C (14F) right now... booooo.

Jo Beaufoix said...

We have stuff to plat tonight if the weather holds out. Sugar looks adorable in those shots and you edited her cut out so well. :D

Julie said...

Precious pics today, Corey. So refreshing! :)

Lindy said...

OMG such a cutie! I love the second to last one with the scuffed chin!

Autumn said...

Wonderful shots Corey, I can't believe how big she is getting. Such a little girl and not a baby. Sigh..

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE that last quote! :D

Fabulous photos, Corey... Sugar is the perfect harbinger of spring!

Deb said...

Love the photos! Good for you on getting Sugar growing things already - I still hesitate to let my girls help much. Maybe that's because I have a black thumb on my own so don't want to give the plants any worse luck. On the other hand though - maybe one of them will turn out to have the green thumb that I lack. I'm determined to find out this year. :)

tommie said...

Those are so adorable! I think we have that same watering can.

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Dacey LOVES to water her flowers, too!! Great shots.

Amy said...

Great photos - the title is so perfect.

david mcmahon said...

Beautiful shots. All my kids did their early gardening with me and our garden is filed with beautiful reminders of those shared moments of bliss.

Maude Lynn said...

That last photo is gorgeous!

We are definitely loving the longer days, here, too!

Cynthia said...

Look at Sugar Bear...quite a little gardener! Really great pics:)

Anonymous said...

As usual, great pictures.

We are also really enjoying spring here even though it is not normally my favorite season.

Anonymous said...

I can tell she had fun. I know she'll enjoy watching the flowers grow and bloom. That red watering can is a great pop of color.

Beth Ellen said...

Very cute. My daughter wants to plant but cannot stand one little speck of dirt on her fingers. Ha.

CMB said...

What a precious face she has. So sweet.

Donetta said...

Wonder defined.

Jules said...

Love the photos. And you should smell like dirt and the great outdoors at the end of a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP