Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 21, 2008

My Worry Wart Must Be Itching!

Friday, I bent your ear about BPA issues, and per usual, I found myself getting a bit worked up. Luckily Buzz whipped out another great post, that surprisingly calmed my fears a bit. It turns out that nearly all the plastics I use for Sugar Bear's food storage fall in the "safer" range. Happily, I found a little triangle with the number 5 in the center on all her containers. I had long ago stopped heating her food in a plastic containers, so I am feeling a bit more relaxed, and ready to educate myself at a nice normal rate, instead of the panic induced hysteria that sometimes afflicts me. Whew....

However, later that day, I found myself over at Fried Okra's diggs, and she had the nerve to remind me that the shampoo and body wash Sugar Bear and I are currently using might be killing us as well. There might be Phthalates and I,4-dioxane ,and who the hell knows what else in there. SEriously, have you even tried to read the ingredients on those bottles? It is enough to give me a headache, and choose to just never bath again. Sigh.....looks like I have another topic to study. FANTASTIC! I was growing tired of all this free time I have on my hands, anyway.

Then......yes....THEN, while de-cluttering my bedside table I found an article I had previously ripped from a magazine to share on my blog. I'm sure, unless your head has been in the sand, you caught wind of the onslaught of recalls in the past year of products coming from China that contain lead. You haven't heard???? YEAH RIGHT! In case you need a refresher......go here. It really is old news....but sadly it continues. The most shocking news this particular article presented was that only EIGHT states in the United States currently have laws the actually BAN the sale of recalled products. EIGHT: Illinois, Missouri, Michigan, Louisiana, Arkansas, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and Vermont. The rest.......are losers. BIG FREAKIN LOSERS. This is totally ludicrous to me. So, if you live in a State that allows recalled products to be sold, please write to your state legislators to complain. Your voice counts.

So there you have it. A down and dirty journey through my mind this past weekend. I am struggling with the idea that everywhere I turn we are forced to dodge POISON. There is no doubt that being a parent is the hardest job there is, but seriously, do we have to lay awake at night wondering if our children are going to start growing facial hair at the ripe age of 6 because we tried to offer them plenty of H2O? Too, bad their bottled water, or plastic sippy cup was poisoning them. I don't know about you, but wondering if the shampoo I am using to keep my child's hair from becoming a matted rats nest is giving her cancer makes for a really restfall nights sleep!

Is anything safe? Is anywhere safe? There are times when I wonder if encasing Sugar Bear in one of those really cool plastic bubble things would be easier, but THEN, I have to wonder.......is it BPA free? I highly doubt it. SIGH........

8 Live It or Love It:

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry for contributing to your stress... but I guess it's better to be stressed than to stick our heads in the sand and pretend the dangers aren't there. Oh wait, stress is really bad for us too.

Hmmmmm.

The bubble is starting to sound pretty good right about now. Although I'll take mine out of glass. I'm pretty sure glass is still safe (unless it comes from China).

Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs... Ooops. Nevermind. (Lest I conjure up something else to worry about.)

Autumn said...

No the bubble is made of plastic.. not safe either. I probably shouldn't even comment on this today as mortality is in my brain front and center right now.
We could do everything right, and I mean EVERYTHING and still die. So I have to remind myself to just do the best that I can do for my child and my family and live every day to the fullest. I can't worry about every single thing that will make me sick. I would go insane.

Anonymous said...

I can totally understand your worries! We can only do our best though! And think of all the things you and I probably survived that we would never let our kids do! And we turned out ok, right?

Megan Cobb said...

I'll be the first to admit I was way more comfy back when my head was in the sand. All I need as a Mom is another heapin' helpin' of guilt over things I've been feeding her or feeding her out of. Or bathing her with. SIGH.

I think the phthalates conversation was at http://www.chic-critique.com/, if anybody's interested in it. Not that I mind you sending people to my place, at all, mind you.

Anonymous said...

I think you're doing the best job possible, Corey. You stay informed and do your best to make wise choices. That's all any of us can do, really--and more than most. Thanks for all the helpful links, I've been keeping up on this stuff too.

Jo Beaufoix said...

I suppose we just have to do our best with the information we have. It's scary though. :(

holly said...

i probably shouldn't mention that lots of computer exposure can lead to headaches and also you could get repetitive stress syndrome, and that your posture is probably not what it could be. . .

c'mon corey, love, it will be alright!!! there are really only three things out there that *won't* kills us!!!!

sadly, i have forgotten what they are...

CMB said...

Nice to know Jersey has some good points :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP