Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Then There Was Penny......



A few weeks ago, one of Hubby's friends brought Sugar Bear a bunny. Sigh........as you may know.....our home seems to be the house of unexpected pets. At least they always seem to be a surprise to me, which sort of stinks since I end up being the one taking care of them. I have given up on complaining about it. REALLY....I have.



This particular bunny came from a family that no longer wanted to take care of her. I am unsure of the details, but apparently she was a house bunny for a family with young children. The bunny, Penny, was unlike the other bunnies we have had in the past. She came to us willingly, and often. It thrilled Sugar Bear to have a bunny come to her, rather than run away.



You may have noticed that in the last paragraph I referred to her in the PAST tense...yes......poor Penny is gone. You see, I did not want a "house bunny". I'm sorry, I don't care how litter box trained a bunny is.....it still makes a HUGE mess when using it. She also had thrill seeker tendencies that led her to chew on wires....and cords. NOT GOOD! So.....Penny became an outside bunny. Here on our 5 acres, we have lots of room for a sweet bunny to run. She LOVED it. She had a taste of freedom, and it looked good on her.



As the days pasted by, she happily bounced around our property, and lived under our shed at night. LIFE WAS GOOD. Whenever we went out in the yard, she'd hop over to say hello. It was wonderful. Sugar Bear couldn't get enough of her. She loved feeding Penny carrots, and petting her soft fur.



Friday, while at work, I began worrying that something would happen to Penny. Although her lack of fear made a three year old happy, it also put her at great risk. Living in the country is a blessing, but it certainly comes with it's own set of predators. I convinced myself that maybe Penny would be better off if we could build her a hutch, so I could put her up at night. Now I just needed to persuade Hubby to build it.



Unfortunately, a little while later Hubby called me at work to let me know that he hadn't seen Penny all day. Sugar and I searched for her Friday evening, and saw no trace of her. We are pretty sure an owl got her. It is all so very sad. There is a part of me, that worries that everyone is going to see me as bunny killer....and that makes me sad as well. You see, I struggle when it comes to pets sometimes. I am certainly that in her last two weeks of life she was happier than she had ever been. I don't believe that bunnies belong in a house. I also really struggle with putting them in cages, and sentencing them to a life behind bars. I am not saying it IS WRONG....but I am saying I struggle with it. I have the same emotional turmoil when visiting Zoos or attending a Circus. Although I love having the chance to experience animals I wouldn't normally see, it hurts me to see the life they lead. I suffer a roller coaster of emotion when peering into their eyes.



So for what it's worth.....we loved Penny. She was treasured, and will be greatly missed. I had her best interests at heart, but being that I wasn't given proper notice, was unprepared to provide her a more adequate safe haven at night. It really makes me all the more thankful that my cats have always fared so well here. In 12 years, we have never lost a cat. For that I am thankful.

Here is Sugar Bear doing her best impression of a bunny eating a carrot. Tee hee....kids are the BEST!



Rest on peace, Penny. You will not be forgotten. Your presence in our home just MIGHT have taught Hubby what I have been trying to get across for years. It is always best to have a PLAN.


23 Live It or Love It:

Anonymous said...

It certainly is a sad story, and I can understand why you feel so torn. I had two wonderful house bunnies growing up, and they were like little dogs. But yes, they can be a disaster at times.

Megan Cobb said...

Oh dear. I did not see where this was going. I'm so sorry about Penny's demise. I was thinking a bunny (in a hutch. outside.) might make a neat pet for Bean SOMEDAY. Pets are a double edged sword though. I've lost several kitties in my lifetime and I'm just not sure I could stand to go through it again, with Bean's heart broken along with mine. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

:-(
It's a hard lesson to learn but opens the door for you to teach your Sugar a little about the cycle of life.

Cats are much better capable of taking care of themselves while out and about... here's to their continued safety.

Laura said...

Awww, poor Penny! It sounds like you did the right thing, though, given the circumstances. And she and Sugar got to spend some quality time together too!

Joeprah said...

Awww. I am sorry to hear that, but the story intertwined with the pictures is very memorable and a very nice legacy for any pet to have. I especially like the last picture...perfect really.

Anonymous said...

I'm all teary eyed. I am sorry for the loss of Penny. She did look happy and well cared for though. I imagine she's in a better place where carrots grow in abundance and owls eat gummy worms.

Autumn said...

Well I for one am being optomistic. I think Penny met up with a cute wild bunny and they hopped off into the sunset together.
Sorry, I just can't look at those pictures and think of an owl eating her. No body? No crime!
I completley agree with you on the caged animal situation. I too am always torn.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

The poor bunny! But more so, the poor you for having to worry over it!

Certain pets in the house? Equate to insanity. And an insane mum is not a happy mum, and that's bad for everyone. ~Hugs~

Misty said...

who doesn't love sweet bunnies?? poor baby... So sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

Poor Penny! How is Sugar Bear taking it?

Gen said...

Aw, I can understand your turmoil. I went through something similar when I had read that guinea pigs could be kept outside if they had a safe hutch and the climate was mild. Unfortunately our guineas got sick and died not long after they went outside. I think our climate is too wet for them, or maybe not warm enough. I still feel badly about it.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Oh Cor, so sorry about Penny. Sometimes stuff just happens, and at least while you had her she had a happy life. Sugar Bear makes the cutest bunny I have ever seen. :D

Lindy said...

Poor Penny! At least she was happy for a little while and you have some fab photos of Sugar playing with her. I'm sure the owl appreciated the good meal- such is life in the wild.

holly said...

okay - you don't know she's dead. maybe she just found her louise and did a 'thelma and' thingie. she could be *anywhere* livin' it up!!!

i was really sad to see she her gone though cuz i wanted to tell you that you live in teletubby land, with the free-roaming rabbit. seems kinda mean now... so i won't say it.

Anonymous said...

Tell her that is one good impression!

Poor lil bunny :(

Linda

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly the same way about caged animals and the zoo...

Sounds like you gave her a good two weeks.

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry about Penny. You did nothing wrong, so please don’t beat yourself up about her death. And thank you for this post because it confirms to me that I must stand my ground about Csilla's frequent requests for a pet (in particular a bunny, which she reminds me I'm not allergic to!)

As for animals in zoos, I hate it too, but feel it is a necessary evil. I truly believe that people do not care about things that they cannot bond with personally. Zoos give people a chance to connect with animals they would never have the chance to see in person, and as such, they care about them and may take steps to protect them or defend them if necessary. I dream of a perfect world where zoos are unnecessary because people are so good and kind that they would never destroy an animal’s habitat or harm defenceless creatures… that’s how I see it anyway.

Ooooops. Sorry for the rant! This is your blog, not mine, right? Have a great day.

AnnD said...

I totally understand. It's hard to NOT let my cat meander about outside like she wants to. But, at the same time...we live practically on a rural road that people drive 80 mph on, we live in rural Indiana with coyotes and feral dogs....I hate to keep her cooped up but I love her and don't want to let her out too. I too also reluctantly go to zoos and aquariums...animals should not be locked up. But, I also know I'll probably never get to see those animals if I don't go to a zoo.

Anonymous said...

Poor bunny, and poor Sugar! At least Penny had a fabulous last two weeks though -- she looks ecstatic in those photos (well, you know... for a bunny anyway...) ;)

Don Mills Diva said...

Poor Penny! But I agree with you about animals in houses that aren't meant to be in houses - I really struggle with it - don't even get me started on caged birds. You did the right thing...

John-Michael said...

I can hear the resonating echoes of an oft repeated refrain (though not often enough danced to [smile]) "It is always best to have a PLAN." Ah Yes! I have a distinct idea that there are many "eyes rolling" in recognition of that chorus! Please permit your Self the gentle courtesy of allowance for a Spirit that is completely in tune with and respectful of Life's "natural order." You are "right on," with your sensitivity to the inappropriate enclosure of any creature in confines limiting its natural proclivities (wow, I think that that is the 1st time that I have EVER used that word ... where DID that come from?) [grin] (AMAZING ... looked it up [for real!]... used it correctly ... "Thank You Muse!")

I do enjoy, admire, and thoroughly love all that constitutes who You are!

Donetta said...

I am with you wild things best left wild. That was such a wonderful gift you gave Penny to have wild life and be free. So sorry for her (the loss of )though.

Misty DawnS said...

I'm so sorry, my friend. I too know the emotional turmoil when I visit a zoo or see a caged animal. You are NOT a bunny killer! You are a loving and wonderful person.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP