Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Celebration!

Last weekend we celebrated Miss Sugar's third birthday. It was a lovely day of good times with family. Getting together to honor Sugar's third year of life was such a blessing. In preparation, I had prepared a fun photostory of photos that depicted her growth in the last year. The final product was a hit, but the stress in making it was enough to send this mama to tears.

At 10:22 pm the night before the party, Window Movie Maker had some sort of glitch that completely corrupted the entire file. Oddly enough it let me save OVER the good copy. Wasn't that nice of it? NOT!!! 6 hours of my life (the time spent making it) were gone, and this tired mama couldn't bare it. After about 15 minutes of howling....I set to re-making it. It only took me 1.5 hours to recreate it, as all the pictures I had so carefully chosen were all saved in a folder, the songs were uploaded, and the creative tidbits were already imagined. In the end, it wasn't as perfect as the first copy, but it was close. I'd share it here.....but video...Internet....and Corey are not really getting along right now. You shouldn't be too disappointed though...I'm sure you have plenty of other things to do with 22 minutes of your life.

Another glitch in the party planning process was the cake. Seriously....I don't think I'll ever make her cake again. It is soooooooooooo not a talent of mine. I lack the cake making gift. In fact, not only am I not GOOD at it....I really SUCK at it. The bottom layer stuck to the pan, and I just had to fill the hole in the middle with cake crumbs. Then the fancy raspberry filling was too runny and just poured out the middle. UGH.....the top layer....yeah...it started to break down the center. IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOOO NOT PRETTY! In the end, even though it was completely hideous, everyone said it tasted FABULOUS! At this point, I'm pretty glad I didn't give anyone food poisoning. Not much else could go wrong.

The party itself was really laid back, and Sugar had a blast playing with her cousins. She loved blowing out the candles on her cake, and I am proud to say that she didn't spit on it. I can't say the same for the cupcake she ate on her actual birthday. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....but the cake...the hideous cake was relatively slobber free. Tears.....might have been in there...but spit....NO!

Going for the "less is more" philosophy, Sugar opened some modest presents. With her birthday so close to Christmas, I try to keep things to a minimum. Life is more about the love and less about the stuff. She opened books, games, some videos, and the big gift was a nice rug for driving her little cars on. I always wanted one of those as kids. I was sooooooooooo into hotwheels....I am we are having lots of fun.

The photography of the day is not my best work. I am NOT a flash photographer, so all the photos with flash left me unsatisfied. I was hurried, and didn't have the time to really relax and thoughtfully photograph the day. I only got one photo of her opening presents, as she wanted me to help her. In the end, being with my girl, and celebrating her day is more important than the photo quality. Life is Good!

Happy Birthday Sugar Bear. Here's to another wonderful year together!



Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children. ~Charles R. Swindoll



Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone



Because time itself is like a spiral, something special happens on your birthday each year: The same energy that God invested in you at birth is present once again. ~Menachem Mendel Schneerson



You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky



Your children need your presence more than your presents. ~Jesse Jackson



The average adult laughs 15 times a day; the average child, more than 400 times.
~Martha Beck



It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't. ~Barbara Kingsolver



In bringing up children, spend on them half as much money and twice as much time. ~Author Unknown

22 Live It or Love It:

kat said...

Well belated congratulations to your little sweetheart. She looks adorable in that cute little dress.

What's wrong with the cake? It looks perfectly fine with me. Though I am not good at baking either.

Crap about the movie maker, that must have been frustrating.

holly said...

it's not about the cake, it's about the love in the cake.

my ma is an awesome cake maker/decorator. because she took a class wherein she learned the tips. and is a maaaad perfectionist.

but each perfect cake? lasted a day. memories last forever.

well, unless you're forgetful. then, thank god for cameras.

Beth Cotell said...

Glad you had a nice day! And I think the cake looks beautiful!

Michele said...

I had fun viewing this post. It left me with a big smile on my face with the fake nose and moustache shots. I think you were being a tad hard on yourself on it not being your best photography, I think you did a beautiful job!
What special memories. What a special day. Everyone looked wonderful. I thought the cake looked great... you really need to stop being so tough on yourself :)

But a belated Happy Birthday to your daughter... I am glad it was a success!
~Michele~

Mel said...

Can relate to this! I have 3 birthday s in one month!!! We leave the cake making to the pro's aswell!!

Megan Cobb said...

Bean's first birthday cake was a disaster (yours looks way better) and Al has insisted on a professional cake ever since. It's just as well - less stress for me means a better day for all of us. I love Shoog's dress - She is GUSSIED UP GOOD! The Elizabeth Stone quote - SO TRUE, isn't it. Whew. And finally - not a flash photographer? Does that mean you won't be helping me with the problem I commented about in your last photography post? Sigh. And I had my hopes pinned on you!

Autumn said...

Oh Corey... did you see the cake I made for Bug this year? IT sucked.. yours looks way better! It's the taste and love that went into it that counts! Sugar is so stinkin cute in her dress and bow. Inside photography is a challenge for me too, but the pics you posted look great. What fun... fake noses and glasses! :)

My Trendy Tykes said...

I hope she had a great bday party!
The pics are great.

Linda

Deb said...

I'm sure your video turned out awesome! But oh I would've been ticked too... Sugar Bear looks adorable in the pictures - I love her dress! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sugar!

I love the quote about the parent being their child's favorite toy.

Joeprah said...

I think you spelled her name wrong on the cake... ;)

Unknown said...

Looks like she had a wonderful birthday. That's such a pretty outfit! So girly :)

CMB said...

Yeah! Happy B'day. I love the photos and her beautiful dress.

I wanted to let you know I bought the Canon xti camera. Have not tried it yet, but can't wait!

Maude Lynn said...

Fabulous birthday pictures!

Momo Fali said...

I think that cake looks great! My cakes are hideous. Really. So bad, in fact, that I have a picture of my son screaming after seeing his 2nd birthday cake.

Happy Birthday Sugar!

Lindy said...

I'm LOVING that dress - so sweet : ) And that photo of her with two fingers in her mouth? Doesn't get any better than that Corey Girl - ya done good!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh my Corey, she is so sweet in that birthday dress. Happiest of Birthdays!!

Great shots.

the rotten correspondent said...

Happy happy Birthday!! The pictures are great and it all looks like so much fun.

You did a terrific job - you can collapse now.

Mary Ann said...

What are you talking about? That cake looks delicious!!!! Sorry about your frustration with the video. That would make me mad too!

Anonymous said...

hie....
u did a great work..it expressed your love towards your child.And What matters is your presence and the way you put it across to them on that particular day as your child’s birthday is very special to you...

Pam said...

That cake looked delicious, and Sugar Bear looked good enough to eat too! It sounds like it was a lovely party.

Michelle said...

What great bday party pictures! Looks like it was a fun time, and her dress is so adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP