Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, September 7, 2009

It's Sew Easy

Some of you might not know that I LOVE to create things. I have a full range of hobbies that I enjoy so very much when I make the time to do them. I knit, crochet, sew, scrapbook (both the old fashioned way, and digitally), stamp, and so on. I don't do any of these as often as I'd like, but I do tend to go in spurts. I'll be all about knitting for awhile, then move on to scrappin', then something else. I always come back around to each of them over and over. It is good.

This summer, I got a bit excited about sewing again. Sometime last year I had seen a really cool idea that required de-constructing a men's dress shirt. I finally decided I had the time to throw at it. I had some ideas, but wanted a bit more inspiration. I began searching the Internet for something that would jump start my project. Through a series of twists and turns I landed over at MADE, a fabulous blog written by the lovely, Dana. I was so intrigued by her Shirt Dress, I decided to give it a go before venturing out on my own. All I needed was a men's dress shirt and some coordinating fabric.

My first attempt, while very adorable, it was a teeny tiny bit too small through the underarm area for the Sugar.

Aug2609_0002ew

Aug2609_0003ew

Aug2609_0004ew

Aug2609_0006ew


BUMMER! I gave that little number to a younger friend at Daycare, and started again. I am VERY happy with my second attempt.

Aug2609_0007ew

Aug2609_0009ew

Aug2609_0012ew

Even though Sugar Bear wasn't much in the mood for pics the other morning. She REALLY does LOVE her new dress. We receive so many lovely compliments wherever we go.

Aug2609_0026ew

Aug2609_0019ew

Used men's dress shirt from the Goodwill: $2.46
Random piece of fabric from my stash: $0.30
Elastic and thread: $1.00

ONE of a KIND darling little dress: PRICELESS OR LESS THAN $4 (depending on how you want to look at it.)

These dresses are the jumping off point. I have been sewing and crafting like crazy. Be sure to come back tomorrow to see the outfit I made for "Back to school". I am so very excited about it.

11 Live It or Love It:

dana said...

adorable! Thank you for sharing with me! And wow, your photography is absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing that with all of us!
- dana

Janet said...

Precious, precious, precious! You're very talented!

Unknown said...

Wow! Look at you go! That is a great dress! I love it. So fun! Or should I say Sew Fun : )

Autumn said...

What a great idea! I love that first one with the little flower. Too bad it didn't fit. :(
The second one is darling too. I can't wait to see what she wore to the first day of school. :)

Megan Cobb said...

That's absolutely adorable! Your talents astound me!

Beth Cotell said...

I wish you were my neighbor. I'd be toting over lots of old men's shirts because I have a dress loving little girl.

Cute dresses!

Jeanette said...

My word, that's a clever idea!

Unknown said...

How cool, what a great design and an even better look on your daughter!

Cynthia said...

OMG...so awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Cute! Cute!

Have you seen this one?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.0

If I had a sewing machine and had ever sewn more than straight lines before, I'd attempt one of these cute dresses for The Bean.

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Seriously... I want to buy one! How cute are these and I'm a terrible sewer. Ugh. Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP