Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Photostory Friday~ The Curse of the Daffodil


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

One of my very favorite flowers in the world is the daffodil. I have such fond memories of them that stems back to the wee age of 6. My family's Century Farm sits in a valley that was once filled with daffodil fields. This was LONG before I was set upon this earth, and yet if I close my eyes I can picture it. As I'd sit at the kitchen table eating an after school snack, both my grandmother and great grandmother, would tell me the stories of long days picking the daffodils during harvest time. In fact, I have one of my great grandma's old journals, where she logged many days of daffodil harvesting. 

While the fields of the valley are no longer ripe with rows and rows and rows of the happy little miniature suns, every spring there are small reminders of that era. Tucked under trees, along streams, or randomly sprouting from the short grass of a green field where sheep now graze, you can see tufts of these beautiful flowers, and one can't help but smile. 


Mar1909_0050ew 


For the past few years, I have looked forward to the daffodil blooming season, in hopes to have the opportunity to capture this sentimental flower in a unique and stunning sort of way. However, it is yet to happen. I rarely get a chance to even aim my camera in their direction. It is incredibly frustrating. The MAIN reason I have failed is RAIN! It seems to always be raining when I'm near them. The photo I post here was taken from my vehicle along a fairly busy street shortly after picking up Sugar Bear from daycare.  I refuse to leave the vehicle with her in it to get a shot, and getting her in and out, and keeping her safe on a busy street is not a fun option.  The fields of which I spoke of are over an hour away, and while I'll be up there next weekend, I am fairly certain the prime blooming time will be over, and/or it will be pouring down rain.  

I'm not sure what the perfect opportunity hasn't presented itself, but I rest assured that one day....it will happen, and when it does, my grandmothers will be smiling down on me. 


It grows in grass and field and bower
The cheerful yellow flower
The daffodil.

The daffodil
Comes after snow
At end of winter’s drear
And spread its yellow cheer.

The blooms of summer coming
Is still a far-off thought
When springs
The daffodil

The daffodil
Is seldom single
Its happiness most strong
When growing in a throng.

My life grows full and intertwined
When all around I find
Friendship like
The daffodil’s.

~Neil of Madrid

14 Live It or Love It:

AnnD said...

The daffodils are always the first flowers up out here. They are always such a welcome sight and tell me that warm weather is right around the corner. I did a PSF today too and I think you especially will like it! hehehe!

Emily said...

Our daffodils are always one of the first to pop up and one of the first gone. I love them since they symbolize the beginning of spring for us!

Autumn said...

Oh I love Daffodils! Your story makes me realize just why Jonquil lane is named what it is. Since Jonquil is a type of daffodil! Very cool. I wonder, are there still tons of daffodils in front of the big white house, the one near W creek? Hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about.

kayerj said...

How interesting-a daffodil farm. I love the daffodil poem especially how they grow in groups. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

While it may not be your field of daffodils, it is a beautiful shot.
I didn't know there were daffodil farms.

Maude Lynn said...

Looks perfect to me!

It never even occurred to me that there was a daffodil harvest.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture! I always smile when I see a daffodil cause it means Spring is coming!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh I love that story Corey and I LOVE Daffodils. We only have a month (fingers crossed) before they arrive.

Christina said...

Oh, I agree!!! Daffodils are my most favorite flower ever - and for me, the reason is that it reminds me of home. I grew up in the St. Louis area, where they grow all along the highway. So lovely!

Tanya said...

oh thats pretty!! I would print that out and frame it!

Tabitha Blue said...

Awww, hope you find your blooming daffodils soon!!!! This one is certainly pretty.

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

Chris said...

The only thing I like better than your picture is your story! I also love daffodils -- and I think we may have some coming up in the front yard (more Spring surprises).

I love your connection to your heritage -- very touching.

Gayle said...

That is a very pretty flower. Looks like a bell.

A Crafty Mom said...

Gorgeous photo - I love it. Daffodils are my favourite, too, they are just stunning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP