Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Crackers and Cheese....what does this mean to me?

"Crackers and Cheese Mama!" This simple little sentence might mean nothing to you but, it certainly means a whole lot to me. It means that my little girl is growing up, and instead of lamenting about it....today I rejoice. This short little utterance brought a huge smile to my face.

For several months now I have been asking Sugar Bear everyday on our way home each night, "honey, what did you eat today?" This question has always been answered the same. "I dunno, mama!" In my longing to share in her day....the time that I miss while being at work, I hoped that someday she would remember, and excitedly tell me. I was never discouraged...and I just kept right on asking.

Late last week when I posed the usually familiar question I expected to get the very familiar answer. Instead, I heard the sweetest little voice from the backseat say, "Crackers and Cheese Mama!" Even typing that just now made me smile. Call me silly but I even called my babysitter to verify and sure enough....my girl had crackers and cheese for snack. It was a thrilling moment. Today, when I asked, she actually remembered a bit of what she had for lunch. Woo hoo......how exciting!!!

I know that I sound like such a weirdo being so impressed with something so simple, but seriously.....this is BIG for me. It is incredibly hard for me to be away from my daughter each weekday while I work. It is horrible to feel like she has this whole other life that I am not a part of. The simple fact that now, Sugar Bear and I can have a little conversation about her day makes me feel just a tiny bit more connected to her life while I am away at work.

The amazing thing about this to me is that it sort of happened over night. Now she even has an answer to my ponders about, "what did you do today?", "did you have fun today?"...and so on. All these questions used to only illicit the "I dunno, mama!" remark. Today we had a lovely conversation. It went a little something like this:

Mama: "Sugar, what did you eat today honey?"
Sugar Bear: "Cheese and peanut butter mama"
Mama: "ooo that sounds yummy. Did you have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch?"
Sugar Bear: "yes....right!"
Mama: "what did you do today?"
Sugar Bear: "I play with friends today!"
Mama: "oooo....that sounds fun!"
Sugar Bear: "yes...right!" (she likes to validate my comments!)
Mama: "Honey, did you have fun today?"
Sugar Bear: "Yes mama! sooooooooooooooo fun today!"

I have to tell you....this simple little back and forth banter left my heart full, and I just know that one more laugh line cracked across my face as I smiled and giggled with my girl. Life is good....my girl remembers....and listens.....and answers! When did she get so grown up? Usually, you will hear me whining about her growing up too fast. Today though, I am realizing just how much I love her at each and every stage. Yes, I will miss the stages gone by....but it is getting better and better. I adore hearing her little thoughts, and sharing in her stories. How can one little person have so much potential to just amaze the pants off me? It is a crazy ride, and I wouldn't miss this for the world! I have so much to look forward to.

8 Live It or Love It:

Keara @ Now I Know What Life Is All About said...

Oh you are so so right. Anden and I are going through the same thing right now. Yesterday, after we went to the park, Anden laid down for his nap and when he woke up I told him we needed to go "bye bye." He immediatly asked, "Go to park? Play with babies? Bubbles?" It just made me smile. It is amazing how much they learn and how they see the world these days.

I always love reading your blog, Corey. :)

Sara@Sarandipity said...

They are growing up so fast, but I love each and every stage. I'm noticing Logan talking more and more each day and it makes me smile everytime he says something new, so I know how you feel!

Lori said...

How sweet! You put a whole new perspective on it. I am so sad that Jocelyn is growing up and knowing that she's the last, but this makes me feel a whole lot better!

Meghan said...

Oh, Corey... that's so exciting. And, I LOVE that she's an active listener, lmao!

I know that I sound like such a weirdo being so impressed with something so simple, but seriously.....this is BIG for me.

Not weird at all. I totally get it.

Anonymous said...

Awww, so sweet and so true.
kids amazes me every day :)

Nikkie said...

Oh Corey I know exactly how you feel! I love it that Jason can tell me things that he did while i was away. I love that he remembers fun things now!!

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Corey~living and loving said...

Megan said...
Oh Corey! That is just gorgeous. Believe me, I LONG for the day when D and I can share that kind of banter. I actually ache for it! I am so thrilled for you that you that Sugar is letting you in on her days. So sweet!

(Let's not mention the fact that one day we will be asking our girls, "What did you learn at school today?" and the sulky teenage response will probably be, "I don't know. Nothing!" ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP