Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

"Dear Children..."

In honor of the Group Writing Project over at MamaBlogga I have composed the following post. Thank you so much Jordan for the inspiration.

To My Dearest Daughter,

I write this letter, with the intent that someday it just might come in handy. Someday when you are in your teens and you think "the world is against you" or that "everyone hates you" or that I "just don't love you, and only serve to make your life a living HELL". I hope that these words I write now will help soften your heart, and give you a sense of truly belonging.

As I write this, your nearly 29 month old self is sound asleep in your crib for your afternoon nap. You are snuggled in with your THREE blankies, your baby elephant, and your pink "cow/pig", just as I placed you after a wonderful, peaceful moment of snuggle nursing in the glider rocker located in your room. We both look forward to those moments. These days you climb up into my lap, giggle with glee as I tell you how much you are loved. Your response recently has been, "hank you mama! Hank you beary much!" It melts my heart, and blesses my soul.

During these quiet and close moments, I often find myself thinking of you and your future. I have worried that you will never really understand the depth of my love for you. This troubles me greatly. As an adult, I have doubted that my own mother ever loved me as I love you. It just can't be possible. I sit and look into your face and know that there is nothing in the world that I could have possibly done to deserve you. I pull you closer, and wonder how I'll ever let you go. How will I ever survive when you move out of my home?

I am beginning to realize that is a very good thing that as you age, you will begin to show your independence. You will strive to be separate from me. You will be ornery, and sassy, and put your foot down for what you believe. It is a darn good thing, because if it wasn't for your efforts to be an individual, you would always be an extension of me. As we are at this moment, we are very much one. The connection I feel with you is overwhelmingly fabulous. I am certain that if it were up to me, we would never part. The very thought of being physically distant from you makes my body ache. The notion that someday we might be emotionally disconnected is literally unfathomable.

I am sadly aware that as you read this, you may still doubt the breadth of my devotion. From the moment you were in my womb, my journey in life became yours. I have little purpose other than to help you become who you are meant to become. I am so very honored, Sugar Bear, to be your mother. No amount of angry words, or frustrations will ever diminish that devotion. Your happiness and success are my mission in life. I am your biggest fan, and that will NEVER change. Please be patient with dear old mom. She is emotionally messy just imagining a future where you care more about what your friends think than what I think. I may not always be exactly on the same page as you....but honey, I started this book for you, and I'd love to help you make it a best seller.

Now I must go stand at the edge of your crib, and admire your peacefulness, your beauty, your amazing sense of wonderment. Thank you, my daughter for being you.....NOW and ALWAYS!

Bushel and a peck,
Mama

17 Live It or Love It:

M said...

I hope she grows to appreciate these thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and commenting today. I love finding new blog friends...and you scrapbook too!

She sure is a doll baby.

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Helen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meghan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shawn said...

Beautiful letter. I love watching my babies sleep ... something about it just makes me melt.

Jordan McCollum said...

What a beautiful letter. We should all remember to enjoy the moments that we have while we can.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us and participating in the GWP!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CamiKaos said...

i still treasure those moments watching my daughter sleep. Great post.

Anonymous said...

Yours is a very sweet letter.
I love how near the end you want to help her write her story so it can be a best seller.

That's how I am now, my teenage daughter is spending more time with her friends, and I really do miss her, that I wonder where time went.
Treasure these memories now.
You two have a very special bond. You can just feel the love you two have for each other.
Again, beautiful letter.

Pearl said...

Corey,
Your letter is beautiful and your daughter is very lucky to have such a wonderful mother.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Mama.... I just found your blog.

Daisy said...

She sounds like a wonderful child -- and you, a wonderful (and realistic!) mom.

Corey~living and loving said...

Lori said:

You are such a sweetheart! I know that Sugar knows how much you love her. It seems that both you and she (is that proper grammar?) are both such gentle souls that there won't be many arguments in the future.

Corey~living and loving said...

Helen said...
What a beautiful letter to Sugar Bear.

Corey~living and loving said...

Meghan said...
Oh Corey... that was beautiful! Sugar is so lucky to have you as a mom. I mean... So. Lucky.

My entry was so very lame. I blame summer brain-friedness for my lack of creativity, lmao.

Corey~living and loving said...

yan said...
Awww, this is sooo sweet, what a great idea! Sugar is so lucky to have you as her mommy :)

Carolyn said...

Wonderful post. It's everything I would write to Csilla... now I just need to get my act together and do it. Sugar Bear is a very lucky girl to be so loved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP