Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, August 23, 2009

I ♥ Faces~ Nostalgia




For this post, I'm leaning towards the definition of NOSTALGIA being "a wistful or excessively sentimental sometimes abnormal yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition."

This photo was taken in our local family cemetery. It isn't that I'm directly related to EVERYONE laid to rest there, but a great deal I am. Our family has been caretakers of the cemetery for decades as well. I find it to be a very relaxing, yet sobering place to be.

My companion and I quietly wandered through the crooked rows, and read the headstones out loud to each other. We were saddened by the many young children buried beneath the stones. We spoke of how awful it have been in those times to bury not one, but often two of your children. While the sadness was present, there was also much respect for those that came before us. Those that lived during trying times.

While none of this sounds very NOSTALGIC, the rest of our visit was. I introduced my companion to the grave of her grandmother and great grandparents she never knew. She lingered remembering the stories she has been told. In another row, undersome large fir trees, I stood silent by the graves of my grandparents and great grandparents. Some of which I never knew....and some of which I miss everyday. I closed my eyes and yearned for just one more day with the grandma who never spared affection. The person in my life that taught me to never hold back my emotions. The person who died much to soon, and never met my daughter. I stood, I honored...I missed. I wanted to turn back time.

july0509_0087etexw

Head on over to I ♥ Faces, and see what everyone else is feeling NOSTALGIC about.

27 Live It or Love It:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Oh my Corey - what a lovely, poignant, reflective, honest post. This was just absolutely beautiful and truly touched my heart.

~Angie
co-founder of I ♥ Faces

Unknown said...

Very nice. This is my first time to participate in this, but I know I'm going to have fun looking at all of the photos. Yours is beautiful...and tender.

Lynnette
Dancing Barefoot on Weathered Ground

Lynette said...

Wow! Gorgeous! What else can I say!!!! Amazing!

tiff(threeringcircus) said...

Beautiful.

As always.

Love the story of nostalgia behind it.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

So maybe I should stop reading nostalgia posts tonight. I am a crying mess. This was so beautiful, and I felt as if I was right there with the both of you.

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Gorgeous photo! The chair, her expression and flowers are beautiful. I love the story of the family graveyard.

Now that my Grandma is hitting her mid 80's, that's where she likes to take me when I visit. We walk around the family graves and she tells me stories about everyone. It's sad, but very captivating all at the same time.

Amy
Co-Founder
I ♥ Faces

Mariana said...

Very different but beautifully described and captured moment!

Jeanette said...

Oh my word, that's quite sad :(

Brad said...

Well described and an excellent illustration of the feeling.. great job all around.

Unknown said...

Oh this is beautiful - amazing entry in every way - I love your words and the image to go with it -- perfect!

tiarastantrums said...

simply beautiful!

Killlashandra said...

Lovely shot. Her reflective look is perfect. :)

Christina said...

My goodness, that girl has an unending supply of lovely dresses!

I have always found cemetaries to be full of peace, too. How wonderful to be surrounded by so much of your own family history. Lovely Corey!

Melinda said...

Not only are you a wonderful photographer but a writer to boot!! Incredible entry!!

Shelby said...

Thanks so much for the kind words on my blog! This is a beautiful image, and I love the story behind it.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Beautiful photo and interesting take on the theme.

Momo Fali said...

This is just beautiful.

Annette said...

Lovely post. I love how generations can link together. Last week my daughter and I attended my Grandmothers funeral. As we walked through the cemetery I was able to point out generations of our ancestors that lived and set good examples for us to follow.

bBchronicles said...

Very beautiful - love the photo as well.

Alice said...

cool shot! i did a cemetary shoot once - it was fun!

my photo is posted, too. feel free to come on over and visit anytime :O).

Gayle said...

Interesting photo and twist on the theme.

Jeanna said...

Beautiful shot. It really affects the emotions.

Patti H said...

just beautiful

Jenn said...

Incredible entry!

Tabitha Blue said...

Wow, touching and beautiful.

4 Lettre Words said...

Really beautiful!

Denise Karis said...

oh wow - that really is incredibly moving. Im often thankful for the ABILITY to be thankful. That I dont take anyone in my life for granted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

Love It!

Adoring Fans

Recent Reads

For a list of books I read from 9/14/09 until 9/14/10 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/10 until 9/14/11 go HERE!


For a list of books I read from 9/14/11 until 9/14/12 go HERE!

Books starting 9/14/12


“Monsters of Men” by Patrick Ness

“Gregor and The Prophecy of Bane” by Suzanne Collins



www.GabriellasHeart.com Photobucket

Visits to my blog

Blog Styled by:

Analytics

Blog Styled by: NW Designs

  © Blogger Template by 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP